Sunday, November 14, 2010

Secret Belgian Binding



This month at the Sacramento Book Arts group I learned about the Secret Belgian Binding technique. I really enjoyed learning this new binding, which actually gave me a bit of trouble! The binding is a little too tight as you can see in the spine, but I like the flexibility of this technique. Hedi Kyle rediscovered this binding attributed to the Belgians. The directions I received on how to construct this book are a bit confusing so I am going to make an easier to read version. Stay tuned!





Side note, the conservation pursuit is in full swing and very exciting! Classes start January 16 at ARC for my venture into chemistry and Italian. I believe I will even have to take on Trigonometry to pursue Physics. I went through my volunteer orientation at the Crocker Art Museum this past weekend and will be able to start signing up this week. I had a good talk with some of the great folks at the museum about conservation and learned new resources to reach out to.

If your looking for conservation resources in the Sacramento area try:

California State Archives
The Sacramento Room - Rare Books Library